Image via Wikipedia
One of our valued reader Mr.Subramani of Chennai, has left some important tips on handling ATM problem in our previous post. As we consider his suggestions are very useful, we are posting his comments as a new post. Thank you Sir.
It is true. I had a bad experience like this. I am Axis bank customer and approached an ATM of Axis bank at T.Nagar, Chennai in the month of June. Since, it was not working at that time, I used Union Bank of india ATM nearby. I requested Rs.25000/- from the ATM. But to my wilderness, the transaction failed with an error as "transaction declined" but my account has been debited. There is no complaint register, no security person.
I immediately informed both Axis bank customer care and Union Bank of India staff. My transaction was the last one for the day and ATM went out of order and I waited there for several hours hoping that some service engineer will visit and reveal what happened.
Union Bank advised me to approach only through Axis bank.
Customer care of Axis bank asked me to wait for 12 working days.
I lodged at the branch of Axis bank. They told me to wait for 40 days since it was a failed inter bank transaction.
I approached Banking Ombudsman of RBI, Chennai with a fax and sent a copy to Axis bank as well as Union Bank.
On seeing the developments, Axis bank immediately reversed the transaction taking a letter from me to withdraw the complaint.
It is a big ordeal for me and my family mentally.
The experience tells us to be careful while dealing with ATMs of other banks:
1) Don’t take big amount in one lot. Split it severally. You can transact them with a time gap also.
2) Keep the transaction slip carefully. If problematic one, take xerox sufficient copies of the transaction slips since the details of the transaction slip will fade away in due course.
3) Immediately contact both the customer care centres and get a complaint id.
4) Lodge a complaint with the branch immediately.
5) RBI stipulates 12 working days for settlement. If not resolved, approach banking ombudsman of RBI with a copy to concerned banks.